Sunday 1 August 2010


This is the story with the Ti rear brake adjusters.

I took measurements from a high quality brand new brake adjuster and modelled it in Solidworks.

Handed the drawing to the engineers and about a month later the parts were delivered to my door but as you can see in the picture there are no flatspots machined on the titanium part.
The skanky rusty one in the picture is off my Mini but I noticed its not the same design as the new part I bought. Maybe its a pattern part as it doesn't seem as good as the one I bought from Minispares.
The unfinished titanium adjusters went back to the engineers about 3 weeks back, so hopefully they'll be finished and ready for sale in a week or two.
Weight wise the original rusty part weighed 41grammes and the Ti part weighed 25grammes from memory. Not a massive weight saving I grant you but as it's unsprung weight it should help in a minuscule way with the suspension. :)
That and not seize solid to the point where you have to remove the whole radius arm, buy a MAFF blow torch and heat it red hot and put ice on to break the rust.
I wish I still had the photo to show you of the spanner I snapped trying to remove the brake adjuster.
Anyway, the titanium parts look gorgeous and the first 2 are going on my Mini.

No comments:

Post a Comment