Tuesday 23 November 2010

Titanium Mini bolts

Hello again. I placed an order yesterday. See below.
Bit of a tricky one this time round. I was kind of cornered into buying 100 at a time of the longer bolts, so I had to cut back my order by quite a bit, but I'll get the rest of the big bolts done early next year. I think it's to do with the high price of titanium at the moment.
I wasn't able to have 50bolts for the pre 1976front subframes made but I'll get it sorted. Metal prices bounce up and down from month to month.





100 x 5/16"unf24 x 5/8"long

100 ordered and this is a general bolt I've found dotted around the Mini. I've seen it used on the alternator bracket.









100 x 5/16"unf24 x 4 1/4"long

Although this type bolt didn't have that much rust on it when I took it off the Mini, I estimate there'll be 35gramme saving for 2 bolts.







100 x 5/16"UNC18 x 1" long
This is a repeat order of a very common bolt used on the Mini gearbox. I've also order
60 x 5/16"UNC18 x 3/4" long used on engine mount.
20 x 5/16"UNC18 x 7/8" long The shorter bolt on the clutch cover. I'll offer one of these and 7 others as a clutch bolt set.



100 x 5/16"UNC18 x 1 3/4"long Used on the Mini gearbox.








100 x 5/16"unf24 x 11/16"long This bolt is used on the timing cover of the A series engine and all the ones I saw were rusty so why not replace them if you're sprucing up your engine.





Nyloc nuts saga
Well the 3/8" and 7/16" titanium nyloc nuts arrived but they were in UNC thread instead of UNF. So back they went. Third time lucky I hope. They should be replaced and in with the above order, so about a month.
The 1/4" ti nyloc nuts worked fine though. I fitted them to my Mini and they were lovely. They were a particularly good idea to use on the seat hoops that are fixed to the Mini floor. They'll be exposed to the very worst of British weather.
The Phillips head titanium 1/4" countersunk door screws worked fine. I noticed they also fit the door lock receiver plate, so the Mini uses 14 in total.

There are a number of bolts used on the Mini but one day I'll have all of them replicated in titanium. I'll sell them in packs for different parts of the Mini and the hope is to keep the prices as low as possible by selling in volume.
It would be very nice to keep our Mini's until we're old and to look on them and see all the bolts still gleam as much as the day they were fitted, decades earlier.

No comments:

Post a Comment